TCSA Leader of the Year
A candidate for the TCSA Leader of the Year award is an administrator who has demonstrated successful innovation in academics, operations and finance, and governance. The candidate is dedicated to the education of public charter school students in prekindergarten through grade twelve in an active administrative role. The TCSA Leader of the Year should:
- Create innovative and creative spaces and approaches with the potential to be expanded or replicated either locally or statewide;
- Earn the respect of students, parents and charter colleagues;
- Advocate for the local and state charter movement and serve within their community;
- Serve as a leader within their region, willing to mentor other leaders;
- Have at least five years of experience working in a Texas public charter school;
- Serve on at least one TCSA member committee or council; and
- Work for a charter that is a current TCSA member.
Awardees serve as inspiration and a model for their charter colleagues and their community. They serve as leaders in the improvement of education within the Texas charter school movement. Leaders chosen for this award may be asked to represent public charter schools at state legislative and policy events when needed.
Recipients of the award receive the following:
- An award of $1,000;
- One free registration to the annual Texas Charter Schools Conference, where they will receive recognition during the awards ceremony;
- A prepared media statement for the awardee’s campus or charter to share; and
- An opportunity to share ideas quarterly through the TCSA Weekly Bulletin and the Texas Charter Exchange blog.
Criteria for selection:
A board member, administrator, teacher, student or parent, or community member may nominate a fellow administrator through TCSA’s website for consideration of this award. Once nominated, the leader must submit biographical information and several essays through the online system. TCSA’s member panel will review the nomination, biography, and essays as part of the nominee’s application and select a winner.
Timeline for selection:
- TCSA must receive leader nominations by April 15, 2017.
- TCSA must receive a nominee’s biography and essays as part of the completed application by July 1, 2017.
- TCSA’s panel of members will review all applications between July 15 and September 1, 2017.
- TCSA will notify the top three nominees and their campuses by September 15, 2017.
- TCSA will announce the awardee at the annual Texas Charter Schools Conference during the awards luncheon.