The Texas Charter Schools Association (TCSA) received several inquiries pertaining to current immigration policy discussions and the impact it may have on students in public charter schools. We understand there are concerns and questions from administrators, teachers, students, and families.
To help schools navigate this sensitive topic, TCSA Legal developed guidance in the form of a legal memorandum relating to undocumented students in public charter schools.
This memorandum covers the following areas:
- Enrollment and admissions
- Requests for student information
- Interacting with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)
- Assisting Students with knowing their rights, developing family plans, and student supervision.
- Access to Public Charter Schools
- Interacting with Immigration Officers
Additionally, there are a number of organizations who provide information, trainings, tools, and resources.
We encourage each school to talk with legal counsel if they have specific concerns with students and families at their campuses. Direct your questions about this memorandum to Christine Nishimura, Director of Legal and Policy Services.